Georgia & Palmer

Friday, July 20, 2007

It Seemed Like A Good Idea At The Time...

Today was another rainy day, and we were both feeling a little stir crazy. Our hopes of a morning swim date with your buddy Jack were washed away when we awoke to a downpour. I decided an afternoon trip to Cabela's would be fun, so we loaded up and off we went.

Cabela's is just 10 minutes down the highway from us and has huge fish tanks, stuffed animals (both real and the cuddly kind), an airplane and lots of other things I thought might interest you. Plus, you've really been practicing your animal sounds lately, so the trip seemed like an opportunity for you to see real (if not live) animals.

I should have checked the weather, but since it's often wrong I just assumed the rain we'd had all day would continue. Little did I know it would turn into a torrential downpour.

You really enjoyed the outing. Apparently I wasn't the only parent with the idea because there were LOTS of kids in the store. Perfect for you to people watch and chase. We started off in the fish section where they have this huge tunnel of aquariums and the largest fish I've seen. The first thing you did is point to a massive catfish and say "meow" (you don't call cats "cats," you call them "meow"). Maybe somebody told you about catfish or you saw it on TV. It would blow my mind to think that you were able to make the connection yourself.

Next came the jungle animals area. There weren't many creatures there whose sounds you could emulate (who knows what noise a zebra makes, anyway?), but you did enjoy saying "ah, ooh, ah, ooh" when you saw the monkeys. No matter how many times we tell you "monkeys say "ooh, ooh, ah, ah" you always say "ah, ooh, ah, ooh."

Then it was off to the big animal display in the middle of the store. They've got a little creek with fish and a bridge that we walked over. You have a word for "fish" that I can't understand. I think you say the same thing every time we see a fish, but I can't make out what you're trying to say. We headed to the mountain area where you saw lots of different kinds of sheep and said "baa." But the coolest part was when you saw a bear. Other than "Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?" I don't think you've ever seen a bear. And I've certainly never told you about the noise a bear makes. But before I could say, " What does a bear say?" you roared. My mouth dropped! It was so cool!

We saw a lot of other attractions before you started showing signs that it was time to head home. We got to the front door and I could barely see the parking lot. Water was coming down sideways. The rain we encountered on the way in the store was borderline bearable. This was disastrous.

I bought a cheap poncho and draped it over us, but you kept pulling it off your head as I dashed to the car. You were soaked by the time we crawled into the back seat, but you looked so stinkin' cute! I felt bad for taking you out in the rain and getting you soaked, but I don't think you minded. The entire ride home you pointed out the window and said "pool," which is exactly what I-35 resembled.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home