Georgia & Palmer

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Three

My baby girl is a big three-year-old kid. (dramatic pause)

It’s bittersweet for me. I’m a little sad that you’re not a baby anymore (haven’t been for some time), but I like this phase of your development so much more than the baby phase. I don’t even know where to begin listing your abilities because you’re such a kid.

The most impressive thing you do, at least to me, is spell your name. You can’t write it yet, but you can spell it and read it. You know that Palmer starts with “P” just like Papa. You also know that your full name is Georgia Sidney Schmitt and that we all have the same last name because “we’re a family.”

We have actual conversations these days. Granted, they’re usually about baby dolls or puppy dogs or monsters (what’s up with the monster talk lately?), but they’re conversations. It’s so interesting to hear what’s going on in that little mind of yours.

You have been fully potty trained for several months. Still wear Pull-Ups overnight, but it’s so nice not having to change your poopy diapers anymore.

You love playing with your baby dolls. You put diapers on them, take them for walks around the house in your baby doll stroller, wrap them in blankets and carry them around the house, cover them up and pat them to sleep, bottle feed them, etc. You also like to push your grocery cart around the house and play “going to the store.” You tell me you’re going to the store and I ask you to pick up a gallon of milk or cereal or something. It’s all very straightforward and loads of fun.

Your imagination has taken off. You really like to play “puppy dog” where you drag us around while we crawl like puppy dogs panting and barking. Your daddy is a much better puppy dog than I. He even pretends to mark his territory around the house. You also talk about monsters a lot. You’ll hide behind me yelling that “Palmer is a monster” or “there’s a monster over there.” Fortunately the monsters don’t appear to frighten you.

You talk about “when you get bigger” or “when you were little like Palmer” a lot. Examples: “When I get bigger I’ll drive a car and Palmer will sit in the front seat;” “I don’t like that now, but I will when I get bigger;” and “I don’t like graham crackers, but I did when I was little like Palmer.” Strangely you’ve decided there are some things you only like when you’re at preschool. Like milk. Weirdo.

You like playing outside more than anything else. We’ll pull the bikes and chalk and other outdoor toys out of the garage and play in the front yard for hours. You’re starting to use the pedals on your little bikes, and you like to show us how fast you can go. A little unnerving at times, since we live on a busy street.

You enjoy playing at the park, too, but we don’t go as often as you’d like because it’s really hard for me to watch both you and your brother. You would play on the swings the entire day if we’d push you that long (you refuse to pump your legs yourself) and brother prefers to jump in puddles, hijack other children’s bikes and dig in the dirt.

You still change clothes several times daily. Of course you can’t reach to hang your clothes up in your closet, so they end up strewn all over the house. I can’t keep up with what you’ve worn and what you haven’t, and sometimes the smell test is inconclusive. I do a lot of laundry.

Your hair. It’s probably your most recognizable feature. You refuse to wear it in ponytails or barrettes. I’ve tried dozens of products. The hair cannot be tamed. What’s a mommy to do? It definitely fits your personality, but sometimes I feel like it detracts from your beautiful face. You want it to be long (probably like your friends at school) but can’t grasp the concept that it will take some time to grow out.

You adore brother. He’s the first thing you ask about when you wake up. You don’t say “good morning, mommy” or “did you have sweet dreams?” You ask “where’s baby?” It’s very sweet and much more endearing than “waffles, syrup, ice water.” The two of you can play together unwatched for stretches of time now. I’ll often find you reading books or playing Legos when I check on you. You still like to fetch diapers, wipes, toys and other necessities for brother, but you enjoy wrestling most with him. I’m amazed at the lack of injuries due to this adored pastime.

Challenges: while you’re just about as perfect as you can be, you do have your moments. I think we’ve honed in on the reasons why you throw fits (tired, hungry or frustrated that you can’t express yourself) so the number of fits you throw has decreased significantly. You get upset when I drop you off at school, so daddy has taken over that duty. Sharing. It will be a challenge your whole life.

You continue to be an absolute joy to us. You still think Palmer is your boyfriend and talk about your cousins being your best friends. This age is so much fun for me. I really feel like I’m getting to know you and glimpsing the person you will become.

1 Comments:

  • aww, the part about her driving and Palmer in the front seat made me tear up a little. Can't you just see her being the cool older sister in college driving Palmer around????

    By Blogger The Riddells, at 8:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home