Georgia & Palmer

Saturday, March 28, 2009

Windshield vs. Bug

I’ve noticed since the both of you were born that there are times when we hit our stride and seem to have this parenting thing all figured out (windshield). Then there are other times when we feel like we can’t do anything right (bug). Now seems to be a bug time for me.

Georgia, I am really enjoying this phase of your development. You are so much fun to talk to. I can easily take you shopping and to run errands. We play games together and do puzzles. We sit and read books and watch movies. You throw the occasional fit, but you’re totally fun to be around most of the time.

The trouble is that a lot of the things you like to do aren’t really age appropriate for your brother. Candyland and other games have little pieces. Palmer likes to chew on your puzzles and eat crayons and Play-Doh. He’s teething so he’s often miserable and not a good candidate for shopping trips.

I feel like you both need more from me, but I can’t figure out how to give each of you what you need. I need to read more books to you both, but brother has no patience for them. He needs to learn his body parts and animal sounds. We need to go more places, but it’s exhausting and intimidating to keep up with you both in public settings.

So it seems that no matter what I do I’m not able to do the things that you both need. And I feel like you’re behind because of my failure. I know that in the grand scheme of things this is really no big deal. It’s a symptom of your ages, too. Soon enough you’ll both have more similar abilities, so some things will be easier (while others will be harder, I’m sure). But I feel so incapable right now. And looking forward to a time when I get to be the windshield again.

1 Comments:

  • There is nothing like mother's guilt, huh?

    You are a great mom, Olivia. Those kids know how loved they are.

    By Blogger Kelsey, at 9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home