Georgia & Palmer

Thursday, February 08, 2007

The Wonderful World Of Separation Anxiety

You were a lot of fun on the drive to day care today. We usually have the radio or a CD playing, but you were so chatty that I turned it off and had a nice little conversation with you. When we arrived at school, you practically jumped out of your car seat and smiled all the way down the hall to your classroom.

I handed you over to Miss LaKeisha like always. She put you on the floor next to your classmates to play and you immediately started crying. At first we thought you were hurt, so Miss LaKeisha handed you back over to me. You calmed down but looked at me with your sad puffy eyes and pouty lip, characteristics that I usually find adorable but today broke my heart. I realized that at that moment, you entered the age of separation anxiety.

I've read a lot about separation anxiety in preparation for this day (that I hoped would never come), so I knew the best thing for both of us was for me to leave. It was absolutely heartwrenching to walk down the long hallway and out the door while you were crying out for me.

I waited a whole 45 minutes before calling to check on you. You were, of course, having a grand time playing with your friends. When I picked you up your teachers said that you had a great day and even napped well for them. You probably don't remember anything about the incident. I, on the other hand, am already stressed about dropping you off tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home