Georgia & Palmer

Monday, August 27, 2007

New School

We've noticed over the past few weeks that you're getting bored with us. I've even seen you walk around the house swinging your arms in an effort to entertain yourself. I guess there comes a point when you need stimulation from someone other than us, even though your daddy gives the best horsey rides. Plus, I feel like we've reached a point where you need a professional teacher to guide you academically. I know you're only 18 months old, but everything I read says that you'll learn more before the age of five than you do any other time of your life. Dr. Patil says you're doing things physically and academically that a two-year-old should be able to do. I don't want you to lose this momentum because I'm too tired being pregnant to keep up with you.

Enter the new school. It's called Primrose and it's wonderful. When we went to visit, you wanted to go into every room and explore. It's the only school you've seemed comfortable in since we visited the church school you attended as a baby. It's also a private pre-school, so you can continue to attend for the next couple of years.

You'll be going two days a week to start out, partially because I'm not ready for you to be gone everyday of the week. You'll have lunch and snacks at a little table with little chairs and sleep on a cot, which should be especially interesting since you're still sleeping in a crib. We visited during snack time today, and all your classmates were well behaved and sitting quitely in their chairs. I hope their example will rub off on you, as you tend to throw your sippy cup on the floor for no apparent reason. One might think these were just well behaved "stand-in" kids that they use for tours, but since we arrived unannounced it's unlikely.

I don't want to be the overbearing parent, but I'm nervous that your teachers won't understand how exceptional you are without a good 20-minute introduction to all things Georgia. It's like I want to offer a short course, perhaps "Intro to Georgia" or "Georgia 101." How else will they know that you don't say "cat," but instead say "meow?" Or that you say "beer" for "bear?" Or that you love to open and close doors and eat constantly?

I know you'll love your new school and will transition just fine. It's me I'm nervous about...

2 Comments:

  • Oh, Olivia. It's SO much harder on the parents than the kids! They have it easy - they get to go to a new place and play with new toys and new friends!! We, on the other hand, get to worry and wonder and wait. She will do great - she's such a big girl!! :)

    Take care,
    Kara

    By Blogger Unknown, at 9:33 AM  

  • Ugh

    Henry was NOT happy when I dropped him off today. Clinging to my arm, burst into tears when I left. Not a fun thing.

    By Blogger Greg, at 10:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home