Georgia & Palmer

Saturday, November 01, 2008

Uno



I didn't expect to cry today, but I did. Several times. I did really well this morning until I bought balloons at the store. I've never bought birthday balloons for a little boy. And then I found a package addressed to you from Scott Sifferd's (your namesake) parents. I could barely read their heartfelt letter through my tears. Then I teared up as you dug into your first birthday cake. AHHH! I'm turning into one of those weepy moms who cries at every little milestone.

Yeah, it’s been a year. An entire year since I stopped taking anti-nausea medication, since I only had one child, since I didn’t know you were a son. You are still the sweet, cuddly, adorable baby boy we welcomed to our family a year ago. But you’re becoming such a little boy. You have four teeth, you’re a speedy crawler, independent stander and soon-to-be walker. You absolutely despise being restrained, whether in the car, in the stroller, in the shopping cart or any place else that requires you to be strapped down. You fight us when we change your diapers and clothes. You are very stubborn, which you probably get from me so I how can I criticize?

I honestly think you matured during your nap today. When I put you down you were my baby boy, and when you woke up you looked like a kid. A little kid in an oversized "Birthday Boy" t-shirt and adorable little khaki pants.

The most impressive thing you do, at least to me, is climb up and down stairs by yourself. I guess I shouldn’t be so surprised by your skill because YOU CLIMB ON EVERYTHING! You climb on top of things so that you can reach other things to climb onto. It’s like the world is just one big ladder.

You don’t say many words, but you’ve become quite verbal. You sure let us know when you want something. You’re also learning some sign language. You can sign “all done” and Georgia is trying to teach you how to sign “more.” You understand a lot more than you say. You’ll lean over and attempt to smooch us when we ask for kisses. Today when you saw your daddy come in the front door you waved and said “da.”

You’re a very independent eater. You don’t like us to help feed you, so you’ve never been much of a baby food eater. You eat only table food and are working on using utensils.

I think you’re going through a growth spurt because you’re eating nonstop and you’ve outgrown several pairs of pants. You’re also waking up overnight again, which may be growth- or teething-related.

I was looking back at some photos of your sister’s first birthday party. She looked so different then. It makes me wonder how different you’ll look this time next year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home