Georgia & Palmer

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Thoughts On My 30th

Today is my 30th birthday. I know it’s a milestone many women dread, but my experience thus far has been complete bliss. I feel like I’ve been waiting my whole life for this point in time, and I couldn’t be happier. I’ve got an amazing husband who supported me throughout the most difficult year of my life, and I’ve got two kids that I’m absolutely crazy about.

Today has been one of the best days of my life. This morning our amazing photographer friend Stacy Cross took our family photos at one of our favorite venues. It was so much fun! We spent more than an hour playing and posing (and, in Palmer’s case, pooping). I haven’t seen a single picture, but I know they’re going to be amazing photos that we’ll cherish.

This evening your daddy took me on a real live date to a grown up restaurant. There were no high chairs in sight and no kids’ menu. It was a very surreal experience and it took me a while to feel comfortable in this strange environment. It’s the nicest restaurant we’ve been to in years. I know this because the hostess not only gave us dinner menus, but a wine menu, as well. There were also no peanut shells on the floor, no annoying off pitch “happy birthday” song reluctantly chanted by the staff, and my steak came with au jus rather than steak sauce. I was addressed as “Mrs. Schmitt” the entire meal and received chocolate truffles and a birthday card signed by many members of the restaurant staff. Needless to say, our waitress got a big tip.

I enjoyed myself so much that my cheeks are now sore as a result of the cheesy grin I sported all evening. I also found myself very touched that your daddy went to such planning and effort as to hire a sitter and choose a restaurant he knew I would like. I can’t count the number of times I teared up over our meal.

The whole evening was an enlightening experience that reminded me that there is a totally different world outside of the suburbs, and reminded me that I belong right where I am.

4 Comments:

  • Happy birthday!! I'm sorry - this is one that isn't on our calendary. It sure will be next year! :)

    XOXO,
    Kara

    By Blogger Unknown, at 9:40 PM  

  • when I turned 30, I was sitting in an empty house in boulder, colorado and sleeping on an air mattress.

    it was a big moment for me.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:11 AM  

  • Happy Birthday! Awesome post!

    By Blogger Elizabeth, at 6:37 PM  

  • Happy Be-lated Birthday! I am glad you had such a special celebration because you so desereve it!

    By Blogger abares, at 3:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home